The Chevron Craze and My Paint Project

I am often hesitant to jump on the latest trend bandwagon - I remember my 1970's childhood home of avocado green appliances all too clearly - the words "blue and mauve" together in the same sentence make me feel a bit nauseous - and then there were the artificial floral and eucalyptis sprays over the doorways during my teen years.  Up to this point, I have not been overly enthralled with chevron stripes, due to my "trend sensitivity," but I must admit the chevron stripes are quite eye-catching. 

I used a cute green on some of my porch pillows last summer....








And I absolutely adore this dresser....


This red chevron rug is terrific and makes this room come alive....


Krista Ewart via DecorPad

All of that to say - My almost 16-year-old daughter wanted me to do something about the trash can in her room.


Wonder why?
She loved this trash can ten years ago!  Maybe this style of trashcan looks like a mauve-artificial-flower-spray to her, now.

source


We decided to try a chevron pattern with the new ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line ProtectorThis tape is now available in select Home Depot stores.



First, I pulled out the same can of turquoise paint we used on her dressers, and painted the entire trash can.....



Once the new paint was thoroughly dry (a few days later), I taped out the chevron stripes.  (Be sure and let the first coat of paint dry completely before any tape is applied!  Scuffing the surface with a piece of sandpaper also helps the paint stick to the surface, better.  If the paint is not completely dry and well-adhered to the surface, the paint could possibly pull off with the tape - and you do not want that to happen!)

 

To place the ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape  in a chevron pattern - I eyeballed it.

No Joke.

I am not kidding - I did not measure a thing. Please note that this daring tape placement will only work in a small area.  I was able to use the corners of the trashcan and could easily tell where the middle was due to a semicircular cutout on the trashcan.  Trying to eyeball a chevron stripe onto an entire wall simply would not work out well.  In addition, I do not recommend "eyeballing it" to anyone who has an ounce of perfectionism in them.   I am one of those who is fairly content with just 'getting it done' rather than 'getting it done perfectly.'


I then used an exacto knife and straight edge to cut the excess tape where needed...



After the tape was complete, I painted the chevron stripes an off-white color...

I was very pleased with how clean the ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape made the lines. 



I have attempted to use tape with paint in the past, but always have bleeding beneath the tape.  This ScotchBlue Tape  did not let the paint bleed beneath the tape ANYWHERE in my project.  Very cool!  This tape will also work great when trying to keep paint off a certain area of a project (like when painting around window trim).   



Looks a little more teen-friendly, don't you think?
We are planning to paint over the pink, soon.  Maybe a medium gray color.  Still cruising Pinterest for paint color ideas.
If you like to coupon, like I do, the ScotchBlue Website 
is currently offering a buy 2, get 1 free special on this tape!

Here is the ScotchBlue video about how this tape works, if you are interested.


This post was brought to you in partnership with 3M and ScotchBlue Painter's Tape. I was compensated by the advertiser to write this post, but my thoughts, opinions and words are my own.




Linking to Frugal Friday

Comments

Red Door Home said…
I have a chevron rug and just love it. I think this pattern will remain popular because it is so much like a stripe. Love the trash can - great project!
Isabel said…
I dont like chevron stripes:( just dont but i remmeber the avocado colors and the eucalyptus sprays and the peach and mauve ugh..... But love how the trash can turned out:O)
Paula@SweetPea said…
Super cute! Your daughter has to be pleased with how this turned out.
Connie said…
Loved the whole project, that's why I'm a follower, you have such great posts. Your fellow blogger, Connie
That was exactly what the trashcan needed!. I'm the same way about trends. I laughed out loud about the eucalyptus sprays! The smell always reminds me of being a pre-teen. I see something that is all the rage right now and think "brass fixture" or "shag rug" or "goose decoration". All the wallpapering that is happening right now makes me feel that way. I have managed to start wearing skinny jeans even though all I could think of was the tight rolling of the 90's!