Micanopy

I'm still here - but, just barely. (kidding, of course!)

My "real" work really kicked in this year and I have been traveling a bunch.  My mom is also very sick and lives nearby - so we we've been visiting doctors and scanning and chemo-ing, and radiating and all of the other medical words I have created. (Plus, when someone you love is very sick, you don't really feel much like blogging.) 

This week I had to drive through Florida for work and stopped by one of my favorite Florida towns that I really want you to see.

Micanopy. 
It was named for an Indian chief and is pronounced "mick-ah-No-pee", which I learned from a John Anderson song, years ago .


It is so close to I-75 that it is a MUST when you drive through the Gainesville area of Florida, during the daytime. It's the first exit after you cross Payne's Prairie, when headed south.

Cute Greek Revival home

The town is very old- early 1800's, and is still "old Florida." There are tourists, there, but only a few - and no McDonald's and no gas stations. 



After the rush of the interstate, the quiet in Micanopy is almost unbelievable. Maybe the Spanish moss softens the sounds. The town is only about 2 miles from the interstate, but you would never guess you are that close to civilization.


And, of course - I was able to find a little white church to photograph... 


Perfect, isn't it?


Do you see this little log cabin underneath a pole barn structure? .....


Right downtown on Main Street. 

I ran into a few of the antique shops and found this turkey plate for only $15.00 ....


Jackpot!  I am happy to add this turkey plate to my collection!  



Please don't tell my husband that I spent money this Spring on a plate for Thanksgiving.

Have a great day!

Oh, and here is that much dated John Anderson song and video....



Comments

Mindy said…
What a perfect little town. Love it.
Sorry to hear about your mom.
Kathy said…
Thoughts and prayers going out to you and your Mom.
May tomorrow be better than today in every way for both you and your Mom.
Thank you for posting the pictures of the charming little town.
Nancy's Notes said…
I'm so sorry your mom is ill, my thoughts and prayers are with you both. What a fun little town to photograph and what a buy. I won't tell. Take care of you!
Unknown said…
Your sweet mama has been in my thoughts and prayers a lot. I've also been thinking about you and your sister and your families too. I cannot even imagine. I know it's hard, but what a blessing you can be close by to help. So thankful we serve a big God who is able! Sending lots of hugs and prayers to you all.

I've been close to Micanopy many times, but I never realized that such a charming treasure was right off I-75. Next time I head south, I will have to make stopping there a priority.

Thanks for sharing!
Jamie Miles said…
Yes -- Michanopy. Outside of Gainesville. Know it well. Love the photos.