Pine Paneling - Say it Ain't So!

I saw this beautiful home in Traditional Home.

(Traditional Home)
This room is beautiful, BUT the pickled paneling sort of scares me - a little TOO close to the 1970's paneling I remember as a child. ........


(Stock photo - no one I know - our family was way cooler).

We also had red shag carpet - and that pink carpet is bordering on red. Could we PLEASE leave some aspects of the 70's back in the 70's !

Some trends are not meant to be repeated. Right?

Let me clarify.

Layla's current-day paneling is entirely acceptable and beautiful........

(The Lettered Cottage)

On to the next room.
This family room in the same home (first photo) is comfortable and makes up for the paneled room...........

(Traditional Home)

And since I grab silver dishes in every flea market I enter.......

(Traditional Home)

My house really needs built-in cabinets specifically for my silver!

And this kitchen would surely help my cooking skills...........

Sorry kids. As you well know, my current kitchen limits my culinary abilities to Chik-fil-a and an occasional bowl of cereal!



This post is linked to The Inspired Room's inspirational post.

Comments

Ginger said…
Stained paneling--bleck! The Cottage Style magazine I picked up this weekend featured that pickled look too; hope it's not a trend. I do like painted paneling, a la Lettered Cottage; in our last house, that's how we coped with the yucky maple-orange paneling in the circa 1968 kitchen.
You're making me dream of open shelving in my kitchen....
I so totally agree with you...do not like that first room and that lady on the sofa obviously has no children...way too neat ;-) I do love the living room and anything with beadboard backing..nice post!
Sjn said…
I love painted paneling though, especially white. How's the Trinity Art Show going?
Rhondi said…
We had the real wood knotty pine paneling in our rec room when I was growing up. My mother had it painted it white eventually and it looked great. There was no style in the 70s worth repeating as far as I am concerned. It was the decade of bad taste.
Well Trish, we can still dream!
Oh, I remember that awful paneling. Seems it was all the rage in those days. I say leave it there!

hugs
Sissie
Yikes! I saw that paneling and gulped...like you please no paneling.
TSL said…
Trish, I passed along the Sunshine award to you on my blog. If you wish to participate please check my post!