I am a 1940's Mom

Do you remember the Robert McCloskey book, Blueberries for Sal?
Well, I pretended to be that mom, today..................





I bought some.........



And lots of blueberries and strawberries (on sale!!!)





and some easy freezer jam pectin ..............


and quickly made .........
6 jars of strawberry jam and
6 jars of blueberry jam!







I AM proud, (but don't think jam can fight much famine around these parts.)


Freezer Jam Recipe

Pectin packet
1-1/2 cups sugar (youch! I think a little less is fine)
4 cups smashed blueberries or strawberries.
No cooking - just 3 minutes of stirring.
The blueberry is quite "dee-lish" baked on brie, btw.

See what others are "hooked on" this week at Hooked on Houses' blog party!

AND

Visit A Soft Place to Land for more do-it-yourself ideas!

DIY Day @ ASPTL
And We are That Family for more Works-for-me-Wednesday ideas!
(So busy this week, I am killing three birds with one jam-filled stone!)

Comments

Unknown said…
Yum. I have always wanted to do this. I am bookmarking your site...maybe one day!
Cindy said…
I'm doing it today...well, at least brought the dusty canning jars up from the lower level. Am going to rinse them, run them through the dishwasher and then....pack and seal! I'm really doing it. Feel so grown up!
Lynn said…
Great job on making the jam! Isn't it fun?
Love the Decor! said…
YUM love the blueberry and brie idea!
Be sure to post if you decide to play with the ratio of sugar - I'd be very interested if you can cut it down or not and still have it taste delicious. I definitely want to try this recipe! Thanks!
Roeshel said…
What a great recipe - you make it look easy. I might even give it a shot one of these days! Thanks for sharing!

Roeshel
Anonymous said…
I've never made jam before, but I'd love to try this! Do you boil the fruit with the sugar? And can you substitute Splenda for the sugar (my husband is diabetic)? Thanks!
There is NO cooking involved - you put the jam in the freezer until ready to use and then it can remain in the refrigerator for up to a month. The directions allow for splenda OR sugar. My body does not like splenda AT ALL, so I always opt for sugar.
Terry said…
This is a good memory for me. My parents were always "putting things up" from their gardens. It was one of those things my parents did together and they really had it together.