Sewanee

If you ever find yourself driving between Nashville and Chattanooga along Interstate 24, be sure and take a walking break in Sewanee, Tennessee. 

You will not be disappointed.  

Sewanee sits atop the southern end of the Cumberland Plateau and is home to The University of the South, a small and prestigious liberal arts college.  The University of the South is affiliated with the Episcopal church. 

I had not made this stop in several years, and had honestly forgotten how beautiful this campus is.  I made a quick detour late in the day last week while traveling for work, and snapped these photos....



Many of the buildings on campus are "English gothic" in style - made of local sandstone.

These photos are of different buildings, by the way - they are just very similar in style.


The campus was burned to the ground during the Civil War, and rebuilt in the English Gothic style after 1,800 books were donated to the school by Oxford and Cambridge. The Vice Chancellor at the time also traveled to England to raise money to rebuild the school. 



Here is an interesting article about the architecture on campus (begins on page 12). 

The irises were perfect....




The local streets are also lined with charming cottages and beautiful historic homes.




It was late in the day, so I had to run along.  


Enjoy your day!

Comments

Unknown said…
Beautiful campus! The story in my family goes something like this...my daddy was offered a football scholarship to the University of the South in Sewanee, but he declined and chose to go to UGA instead. (He didn't play football there.) I've always wondered about this school, so thank you for sharing. I'd love to visit sometime. BTW, I saw your lovely daughter the other night at graduation. :)
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
1of2 said…
That was my home for 4 years! It's a magical place that will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart. Thank you for showing it off! :-)