My Weekend

I've said it before, and I will say it again and again - We live in a great country.  My daughter - the oldest one - is interning in DC this semester.  

She is out in the Virginia burbs, not on Capitol Hill, which left us with a few problems.  Primarily, housing.  (It is fairly easy to find intern housing on The Hill - not so easy in Herndon.)   "Craigslist" is what everyone told us to do.  Right.  Try that when it is YOUR 19 year old daughter!  

So, we packed up her little car and drove north from Georgia.  Up the beautiful Shenandoah Valley....



And, after 11 long hours, we arrived at our hotel.  Tired.  But not too tired to hop BACK into the car
and run look around downtown!...



Always beautiful.

After much praying and worrying, we were fortunate to find an apartment and roommates for my daughter.  Roomies that would allow a four month lease.  And an apartment that didn't cost an arm and a leg.  And a safe location, not too far from work.  

That was Saturday.  So, Sunday we devoted to downtown DC.

We walked through the Air and Space museum to get from the metro to the National Mall.  We didn't look at a single item in the Air and Space museum, we just paused long enough to snap a photo to torture her little brother with (he had to stay at home in Georgia and go to school).  


(Spirit of St. Louis over her head)

Then we walked and looked.   
And looked and walked.

She started her job on Monday, so while she was at work, I went downtown in her car and took a walk.
I got an amazingly great FREE parking space.



And then I explored for about 3 hours.

They are busy getting everything ready for the inauguration in a couple of weeks.  



The monuments and buildings in Washington DC never disappoint.



They are always impressive - no matter how many times I have seen them.



Great architecture, everywhere.


I walked through the new FDR Memorial and the new MLK memorial (they are side by side near the Jefferson Memorial)

This quote on part of the FDR memorial struck me as pertinent for our time.


Speaking of unemployment, I was amazed at how the DC area is not experiencing this recession.  Or maybe I should say - doesn't APPEAR to be experiencing this recession.  Construction is everywhere - both government projects and private projects.  New buildings full of tenants are everywhere.  New housing developments are popping up.  There are lots of shopping areas that appear to be thriving.  No empty strip malls and not many FOR SALE signs.  The restaurants are full.  Everyone "looks" busy.  

Once I finished my long walk, I ran by the National Zoo.  (No one in my family will go with me to the zoo, anymore.  I pretty much have to go by myself.  I love zoos. )

Lots of the animals were "away" for the winter.  But I did see some seals, and wolves, and a bear, and elephants, and farm animals.  I also saw these beavers up close....



Not sure I have ever seen one that close, before.

And now I am back home and back to reality.  Enjoyed that little break and am hopeful my little girl will be safe over the next few months.  

Have a great day!

Comments

Kara said…
I love DC. It's been years since I have been there and I missed it terribly.
Isabel said…
Congrats to your daughter and Im sure she will be safe:O) Awesome pictures maybe one day I will get to see Dc up close:O) Thanks for sharing:O)
Rebecca said…
What a lovely excursion for you ....and interesting observation about the apparent health of the economy in the D.C. area! Hmmmmmm?????
So glad she found a safe place to stay and if she needs anything, just let us know!

Kat