Monday, May 16, 2011

How I Neutered My Red Sofa - Part 1

My sofa is so very, very red.  And I am tired of it.  I need to enter the new decade.

However - I have a gigantic list of 'things-to-do', which includes a daughter who is graduating from High School next week.  I simply (1) do not have time to sew a slipcover for my sofa (plus, the back pillows are attached and I just don't think I can make the slipcover "work right" with the attached pillows - excuses, excuses, excuses.) and (2) I am not eager to spend money on a new sofa, right now.


The answer to my problem was found on a remnant rack. 
I happened across this fabric on Saturday ......



I whipped out a few pillows and hope to find contrasting fabric for more pillows.



I'm taming that red monster, pillow by pillow!


Red and Turquoise  - hmmmm - who would have thought?




Lonny via DecorPad


Decor Pad







And, here is a room with a little 'yellow' thrown in (since my den is still yellow)......



I am hoping to share the completed "update" of my den within the next week!!!

Enjoy your day!


I am joining Metamorphosis Monday and Frugal Friday!





Pin It!

12 comments:

COEN + KELLY said...

I think it looks FABULOUS, well done!

Jennifer @ A Fine Romance said...

LOVE those pillows! I have a "black leather monster" in my living room that I would LOVE to replace. It was one that my husband picked out BEFORE we got married...my choice was only "black or green?". Ew. lol I do find that pillows can really work wonders though - great job on yours! Love the bright colors. Probably works really well with your beautiful paintings. :)

Our Country Bungalow said...

The pillows look great and I love the photos you've featured.
Very cute!
~cathy

Kari said...

I love the fabric you chose - they look great on the couch! I also really like the photos your shared - so pretty!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Love that fabric that you used on your pillows! They instantly update your sofa.

Paula said...

The title of your post really made me laugh! Seriously, I love your new pillow fabric. Red and turquoise look great together.

Anna said...

I love that fabric, great way to accent the red couch.
Good luck with your to-do list and congrats to your daughter on her graduation.

Ann said...

Yea, I love the red/turq combo too. I have a GREEN sofa I need to tame too. Great fabric.

kathleen said...

i love your post! i just fell in love with red and turquoise this week!

thanks for the inspiration! :)

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...

Great title for your post! I think the pillows make a big difference, you notice them now more than the sofa.

I had lots of reds/yellows in our house...posted over the past several months about "shedding the red"!

FYI...I made a slipcover (not perfect by any means) for a sofa with attached back cushions. I actually cut the fabric and removed the cushions to cover them individually as loose back pillows.

Isabel said...

Your photos are so Inspiring!!!:O) Love the material for those pillows:O)

Sunny Simple Life said...

I happen to be so into this color combination right now. I have some of the same photos for inspiration too. Great mind think alike. Can't wait to see the finished product.

 
01 09 10