Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Succulents in a Bowl - A Quick How To




A few weeks ago I began the quest for a bowl large enough and deep enough for succulents.   I really wanted to use a footed bowl. 

A large one. 

I finally found these bowls at TJMaxx....









 They are regular bowls.  They are not designed for plants.  Do you see the cute birds on the side of the footed bowl?




I bought this plant at a farmer's market in Fernandina Beach in July for a mere $5. 






It has been THRIVING in it's ugly, cheap, green plastic pot with it's hideous wire hanger at my window for over a month. 

Definitely time to re-pot.

By the way, I also found a Jade plant for $4 at Lowe's, this week.  Check out your Lowe's "sale" section!



Tip #1 - Succulents need well-aerated soil.  They store moisture in their cute little leaves (like a camel stores water in it's hump), so they really prefer very little water and a fairly dry climate (like a camel).  (I miss my kids being small.)  And since my bowls do not have holes in the bottom, I used gravel and rocks in the bottom of the bowls....








I also used a mixture of potting soil and vermiculite (equal parts of each).  I forgot to take a picture - but that may have bored you, anyway. 

Since both plants appeared to have been in their pots awhile, and were obviously thriving, I also tried to use as much of the original soil as I could. 


I noticed that the succulent plants for sale on Ebay are often shipped "bare root," so I was not afraid to re-pot the two plants.


Here is how my Jade looks, now.....








How cool it that?

And here is my original Farmer's Market succulent - a sedum of some sort (I think)....



Tip #2 - Succulents will die if their roots stay too wet, so do not overwater them!!

and Tip #3 - They require lots of sun.  Direct sun in the Deep South will kill them (just ask my Mom who bought a matching plant at the Farmer's Market on the same day) - but a bright window is perfect.

Have a great day!




Pin It!

16 comments:

Sjn said...

Thanks for the tut! I love the bird bowl you found. At this point in time, I have not one live plant inside my house. I killed the last one off in the spring ;-)

Beth West www.northernskyart.wordpress.com said...

Your planters turned out beautifully. Good job!

Red Door Home said...

Your plants looks great. I have been seeing succulants in various containers lately and love how they look.

trish said...

Oh how gorgeous! :o)
I especially like the footed bowl with the birds. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia

Farmgirl Paints said...

Love your bowls. Those poor little plants wouldn't stand a chance at my house. I'm notorious for overwatering indoor plants and underwatering outdoor ones...help!!;)

A Busy Nest said...

Cute idea. I love succulents.

sissie said...

Love your containers and your happily growing plants.

hugs
Sissie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love the footed bird bowl and love Fernandina Beach where you bought the plants.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

That footed bowl is adorable! This is such a great idea. They look beautiful!

courteneykay said...

cute idea! I have been wanting to do something with succulents lately!

Ellie said...

Those are too cute! Love the repurposed 'pots'. Visiting from Tools are for Women Too.

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

Thank you for that little tutorial. I wish I had more confidence in growing house plants. It seems I kill them, but maybe I could keep this type of plant alive through the winter. I may have to try it.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Trish, What a differnce the right planter and the loving touch of a gardener makes!!! So lovely and I love the easy and well said directions.
Yvonne

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

I love these! I have some Jade growing in my kitchen and I keep breaking off leaves and starting new one in tiny pots...so fun!

Yours look fabulous and your blog is just beautiful! :)

~Kim

Atticmag said...

Love anything with birds and the jade looks super. Such a cool looking plant and grows so easily.

I adore your paintings. Hope to be a customer soon!

Please stop by, we're giving away a super Roxy girl's bedding ensemble for "Giveaway Friday"!

Jane T.

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Trish, I love how these look! I have a large jade plant on my front porch, but I'd love to bring some succulents indoors too! Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

 
01 09 10