What Would You Do?

In the spirit of Julia at Hooked on Houses, I decided to post this photo of a house in our neighborhood.  It has been on the market quite a while, and finally dropped to a price worthy of the required renovations.  The house was built in the 1940's.  I think it is adorable.  My husband thinks it looks like a never-ending-money-pit of a headache.  "No," we are not thinking about buying it.  (or at least, my husband isn't.  And, actually, we have too much work left on our 1850's home to even think about selling it, right now.) 

What would you do to update the front of this house?


Any ideas? 
I found these two similar cottages while surfing to avoid doing something worthwhile.



They both have dormers.  The cute house down the street does not.  (and it looks like the roof pitch needs to change to add them to that house.)

The cute house down the street has a horrible floor plan and is quite small inside.  The realtor's site only included the front facade, but I have been in the home for an estate sale.  The front door opens into a large room that runs almost the entire width of the house.  You have to walk around furniture to get to the kitchen or bedroom doors (no hall and no clear path the the other rooms in the home.) 

(I have my own ideas about updating the facade in my little fantasy world.  -I think the new owners with the money tree should put cedar-shake or slate on the roof and paint the brick.   And what about the windows?   The uneven window sizes would probably bug my husband to death (he has a symmetry fetish). I sort of think they add character. maybe. Come to think of it, I may have a symmetry fetish, too.)

I played around with Paint and here is all I could do:


Would love to hear your ideas (and then I can picture the changes each day as I walk past this house!)
Have a great day!

Comments

Farmgirl Paints said…
I love those posts that Julia does. Unfortunately my brain is not functioning yet and not a single thought to improve that house is coming. Knowing me I'd paint the brick. I hate that color. New roof and maybe black shutters....window boxes. Now the ideas are rolling:)
Olive said…
How about enlarging the front door and front entry? Also darker shutters as you said. Also a curvy walkway up to the new entry. olive♣
Unknown said…
I hadn't thought of painting that house white, but that's a good idea. I also agree with the above poster who said to enlarge the entrance area.

That second cottage you have pictured is adorable! My hubby and I will be house hunting in a few months and that's the kind of home I'd like to find.

Nancy
Isabel said…
I like the painting of the door and spruce up the mailbox add some flowers, make it Happy looks sad. We have 2 houses on the block that have been on the market for a while and one thing im dying to do is clean the front and back yard in the back he has a pet cemetary and dog house, they no longer live there(next door to me) People want to buy a house that not too much work is needed bc of the economy I love fixer uppers:O)
Anonymous said…
I have a thing about olive green bricks and terracotta doors and shutters. Definitely a brick porch and walkway. I know people think I am crazy but I have admired a house in my town that is that color for years and as soon as I can afford it, mine will be the same. I even ask her for her paint colors.
I like your paint job. I would also extend the A gable at the porch to make a little covered area with carved corbels on either side. Window boxes are always nice too!
Wow, your paint job really changed the total look. It doesn't look like the same house. I agree with Becky. I would definitely add window flower boxes.