My Life is Not a Magazine Cover

My husband called me on his way to Lowe's. "Do you mind if I go ahead and plant the Zinnia seeds?"




I responded, "That would be great, but please do not plant them too close to the jessamine and I would really love a raised bed."

His end of the conversation involved something about the cost of timber these days and how much soil it takes to fill a raised bed.

I told him that it didn't have to actually be raised, just place some boards around the edge to keep the grass out. You know - like a giant sandbox - with no sand.




















This is what I got.



I will post pictures in August, once the tendrils of the jessamine choke out what few zinnias can make it with no sun prior to 2:00 pm. I'll entitle the post something like "I Told You So."

Comments

Anonymous said…
I absolutely ADORE your work..
I added your blog to my Blog Candy page too.

xo,
Kim
BizzieLizzie said…
Oh, this is the best post ever! I SO needed this laugh this morning! Your husband must know my husband!! =0)
Local Girl said…
I love those Zinnia's, but like you mine never grow either the ground elder eats them! One day I'll have a pretty little blue house with a garden like that :)
Terry said…
I resemble your husband. And the cost of timber is ridiculous and and that soil is really heavy. But we really want to please you. We'll eventually get to your boards but we know you won't be satisfied ;^)
DesignTies said…
Hahahhahah!! That's too funny!!

It's nice to see that I'm not the only with with a hubby who doesn't listen!! :-D

I LOVE the photo you posted of the stone & grass pathway with the pink flowers along each side. I could get lost in a garden like that!!

Fingers crossed fir your zinnias!!

Kelly @ DesignTies
Shannan Martin said…
Ha ha! Love it. I'm gearing up to plant my zinnia's, too. I've never planted these before, so I hope I don't screw 'em right up! They are so wild looking - I can't get enough of them!
Amanda said…
love all the photos- makes me want to go dig in the dirt!
Rue said…
LOL.... I was told that it will look ghetto and then I showed him some pictures like these.... I'll be getting my garden soon, while I supervise ;)

Off to check out the rest of your site. Your comment on mine has me curious and I loved this post :)

rue
Decor To Adore said…
Ah, the old adage "if you want something done right the first time send in a woman."
Yesterday I told my husband to lightly trim the orange tree and he basically whacked it down to a stub. No oranges next year. :(

Please stop by my blog. I am hosting a 200th post giveaway.
Laura said…
They are all alike- bless their souls!
My husband iis supposed to read my mind.
I love zinnias.

When do you plant your seeds?

I enjoyed visiting,

Laura